Saturday, November 6, 2010

For Colored Girls

So, I am not a huge fan of Tyler Perry's films; however, I do try to support as he has opened many doors for aspiring African-American filmmakers. Though (in my opinion) his films have either been over/under acted, full of stereotypes (buffoonery/coonery), or just plain lackluster, I went into this film with an open mind. Disclaimer: I have never seen the play and only read a small portion of the choreo-poem prior to seeing the film.

I respect Perry's ambition in this film. Some of the performances left something to be desired, but that wasn't totally unexpected for me. There were, however, some stellar performances. Green could not have been played by anyone other than Loretta Devine. I was pleasantly surprised by Thandie Newton, as I am not particularly a fan of hers. Whether or not the movie was a good translation of the original work and whether or not it was well acted, the movie will hopefully nudge us toward open and honest communication.

As with Precious, I was somewhat conflicted about uncovering our shameful secrets for the whole world to see. And just as with Precious, the argument remains that even though these images/story lines reinforce negative stereotypes, these things still happen. While discussing the film in the car with Hope, I had an epiphany... Some wounds have to air out in order to heal. I remember I once had a sore that just would not scab over. My grandmother told me I had to take the band-aid off and let it breathe. So many things are stigmatized in the black community. People are afraid to seek therapy because they don't want to be labeled as crazy. People are afraid to be honest about who they are because they don't want to be ostracized and called ugly names. Folks hide behind religion instead of dealing with reality and their own crap. WAKE UP PEOPLE! We're unhealthy because we keep our issues surpressed.

I also read and heard reviews stating the movie was all about man-bashing. In regards to man bashing... I'm bashed every time I flip past BET and see some scantily clad young lady who thinks she has to be objectified in order to become successful. And that she's been conditioned to believe that being featured in a video that objectifies will make her successful is even more offensive. I'm am also bashed every time I turn on the radio and hear a song that demeans me as a woman. So, whatever!

Some critics disliked how Perry weaved in the poetry from the play with the regular, often simple script, reasoning that his audiences would not like it. I think they don't give us enough credit. It was different and intriguing. During those segments I really had to pay attention to make sure I garnered the message. We're black, not simple.

At any rate, thumbs up to Tyler Perry! I hope that he continues to evolve and make stories that portray more aspects of relationships in the African-American community. And I'm off my soap box. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment